Opportunity closing date: Sunday, January 12, 2014
The Association for Women’s Rights in Development (AWID) is an international feminist organisation working to be a driving force within the global community of feminist and women’s rights activists, organisations and movements, strengthening our collective voice, influencing and transforming structures of power and decision-making and advancing human rights, gender justice and environmental sustainability worldwide.
AWID’s Young Feminist Activism (YFA) Program contributes to stronger multigenerational movements that are diverse and inclusive and where young feminists’ contributions, activism, perspectives and needs are highlighted in women’s movements; accurately reflected in international decision-making spaces, development debates; and translated into policies and programs that are grounded in human rights and gender equality.
AWID seeks to appoint a Programme Coordinator – Young Feminist. Work location is flexible.
The YFA has recently established a Co-Coordinator structure to lead the YFA program by complementing each other’s skills, capacities and experiences thus ensuring that the YFA continues to be responsive and connected to young feminists from around the world. The YFA Program Co-coordinator is a full-time position responsible for strategic project planning, coordination and timely production of high-quality YFA deliverables. The YFA Co-Coordinators will closely collaborate on strategic leadership, coordination, constituency and alliance building for the Program. The primary responsibilities include:
- Co-lead the development and implementation of the YFA’s strategic plan, annual plans and related work planning;
- Co-lead the YFA’s strategies to support the political engagement of young feminists in policy and program development processes such as the post 2015 development framework, in line with the overall strategic plan;
- Work closely with all AWID strategic initiatives to identify opportunities to support young feminists activism across the organization;
- Co-coordinate knowledge building projects including on effective multigenerational organizing and mapping of young feminist organizing;
- Strengthen existing, and build new relationships and alliances with young feminist activists including across social movements and other regional international feminist organizations;
- Co-responsible for engaging with the YFA Advisory Group including selection of new members and planning/input meeting with advisors;
- Represent the YFA Program/AWID in international, regional or local venues.
- Develop, implement and monitor progress of one or more projects to ensure deliverables are in place and completed in accordance with quality requirements and established timelines and budgets;
- Coordinate regular reporting and updates related to YFA’s work in line with AWID’s M&E strategy as required;
- Work with relevant Manager to regularly take stock of the YFA strategies ensuring they are responsive to the YFA constituency and strategic goals of AWID;
- Advance project work, taking initiative in methodology development, documentation, identifying potential strategic alliances and opportunities (external and internal).
Capacity-development (internal and external)
- Liaise with staff of other AWID programs to support integration of young feminist activists, contributions and perspectives across the organization as well as to identify opportunities for collaboration;
- Coordinate the development, facilitation and implementation of learning opportunities (both online and face to face processes) for and by young feminists;
- Develop and implement follow-up activities, as appropriate, to capacity-building processes.
- Identify priority issues for knowledge building relevant to young feminist organizing and to the YFA’s overall strategy;
- Contribute to the conceptualization and project planning of knowledge building project on multigenerational and young feminist organizing;
- Co-coordinate the production of knowledge resources produced by the initiative.
Alliance-building, constituency engagement and advocacy
- Work with other initiatives within AWID and collaborate with key women’s rights organizations and activists to advocate for the active engagement of young feminists in political dialogues and policy makings spaces affecting the rights of young women;
- Identify relevant organizations, activists, networks and other resources through which to establish strategic partnerships with in order to support young feminist activists;
- Maintain communications with YFA constituencies, including past participants in program activities, organizational partners, and AWID’s membership (i.e. responding to electronic requests for information, following up with participants in AWID activities);
- Conduct occasional Needs Assessments with YFA constituencies to ensure the program’s relevance and strategic focus;
- Represent AWID in international (or local/regional) international venues to profile the YFA program, creating and delivering presentations or speeches as required.
- Work with the Finance team to administer and monitor program budget;
- Actively co-lead and contribute to regular YFA team meetings;
- Participate actively in organizational meetings and committees.
- Three or more years of activism with young feminist organizations/initiatives working for women’s rights and gender justice, including at least two years in a leadership role;
- Experience with young feminist mobilizing and policy advocacy at the international and regional levels;
- Planning, implementing and coordinating of projects or initiatives led by or for young feminists;
- Experience in developing and implementing capacity building and mobilization activities to strengthen young women’s organizing both online and face-to-face;
- Experience working with young women between the ages of 18 to 29 years old in the Global South;
- University degree or related experience in Gender and Development, Women’s Human Rights, International Development, Women’s Studies or a related Social Science field;
- Knowledgeable about current trends in young feminist activism in regional and/or global contexts as well as familiarity with empowerment strategies developed for and by young feminists;
- Knowledgeable about women’s human rights and/or gender and development policies at the regional and/or international level;
- Knowledgeable about challenges and best practices for effective multigenerational organizing;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Strong written communication (and editing) skills;
- Innovative, flexible, fosters/manages change;
- Demonstrated capacity to establish focus (develop and communicate goals of Work plans), think strategically and be forward thinking;
- Excellent analytical and diagnostic information gathering abilities (specifically regarding analysis of information across a range of disciplines and ability to extract relevant information/themes or solve problems);
- Displays good judgment, sensitivity and attention to communication;
- Strong time management, detail orientation and thoroughness of work;
- Ability to prioritize and multi task;
- Results-oriented and takes initiative;
- Strong project management experience: ability to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate a work plan with multiple projects, multiple deliverables and deadlines;
- Public speaking and facilitation skills;
- Basic knowledge of the latest communication technologies; particularly content management systems and web 2.0 for the purpose of building online communities, information sharing and e-learning;
- Knowledge of basic budgeting and financial procedures and analysis;
- Ability to work independently and remotely;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English as well as French and/or Spanish.
- Familiarity with elements of feminist theory and women’s rights frameworks;
- Able and willing to travel internationally;
- Committed to the principles and values of feminism, anti-discrimination and anti-racism.
- Training and capacity building experience with young feminists from diverse background;
- Experience working with social justice educational/learning processes with young women;
- Trilingual – English, French, Spanish;
- Knowledge of WordPress publishing platform.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to email@example.com with “YFA Coordinator” in the subject line. Explain in your motivation letter why you think it is important to support young feminist organizing and why you think this position is the right fit for you.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application – NGO Pulse Portal.
Young feminist women and transgender persons under 30 from the Global South are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more about AWID, refer to www.awid.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Originally found on ngopulse.org